John was thrilled to be cast as the mysterious "Well-Dressed Man" in The CW's series, Arrow. The character is eventually revealed to be Malcolm Merlyn, father of Oliver Queen's best friend, Tommy Merlyn.
Malcolm plays a pivotal role in the first season's unfolding storyline of treachery and subterfuge in Starling City, and in Season 2 there are further plot twists involving the Merlyn family.
On 15 May 2014, at the TV Upfront presentation in New York, the CW announced that Malcolm Merlyn would be promoted to series regular in Season 3, so we can expect to see a lot more of Mr Merlyn!
In a recent interview, producer Marc Guggenheim said of John's performance in Arrow:
"Whenever I see dailies with him, literally the word that always comes to my mind is 'magnetic.' He is incredibly magnetic. Not having seen him in Torchwood, I am like 'This guy is unbelievable!' I had come to his performance on my own terms. He lights up the screen, and he really energizes the actors that he has scenes with."
Arrow is based on the DC Comics' series, Green Arrow, featuring billionaire Oliver Queen (played by Stephen Amell). Queen has been missing on a remote island for several years - an experience which has changed him in ways that gradually become clear during the series. Malcolm Merlyn is an acquaintance of the Queen family and first appears in the fifth episode, titled "Damaged".
Arrow airs on the following channels:
- US: The CW - Wednesdays at 8.00pm/7c (from 10 October 2012)
- Canada: CTV - Wednesdays at 7.00pm ET (from 10 October 2012)
- UK: Sky1 - Mondays at 8.00pm (from 22 October 2012)
- Latin America: Warner Television - Mondays (from 22 October 2012)
- Spain: Canal 13 - Wednesdays (from 14 November 2012)
- Australia: Channel 9 - Wednesdays at 8.30pm (from 1 May 2013)
- Japan: AXN - Sundays at 9.55pm (from 22 September 2013)
For more information about Arrow, have a look at the show's official websites:
Articles and Interviews (Possible Spoilers)
- TVLine.com - 1 May 2013
- Video interview: Permanent Rain Press - 1 May 2013
- TV Equals - 1 May 2013
- Examiner.com - 1 May 2013
- TV Fanatic - 30 April 2013
- Dark After Thoughts Radio - 28 April 2013
- Starry Constellation Magazine - 26 April 2013
- The Backlot - 24 April 2013
- The TV Addict - 24 April 2013
- The Rush on Shaw TV - 16 April 2013
- Los Angeles Times: Hero Complex - 12 December 2012
- Hollywood Reporter: "Malcolm has Arrow envy" - 12 December 2012
- CBR: "Barrowman brings Merlyn to Arrow" - 12 December 2012
- TV Guide: "Is Malcolm Merlyn the Dark Archer?" - 11 December 2012
- Hollywood Reporter: "Who is John Barrowman playing?" - 12 October 2012
- KSite TV: "Arrow Bait" - 10 October 2012